Thursday, May 24, 2012


This morning David had to leave our house at 3:45 am to go take someone to the airport. David and I live in a Ugandan neighborhood and it is not safe at all to walk around between 10 pm - 6 am. I was so worried that I had nightmares the entire night about losing him, in my dream I was sobbing uncontrollably when I woke up hearing him come back home.   Relief flooded through me as soon as I heard him.

All I could think of was... what would I ever do without David in my life?

I have been asked if cross-cultural marriage is hard. To be honest, living in a culture not your own can be hard. Living in a place where you are completely ignorant of almost all of the customs, language, ways to do things, etc- is extremely hard, especially with my shy personality. But being married to a man from that country, the country that you live in that is not your own, it is not hard at all- it is beautiful.

I now have a man that protects me, who knows the culture and the customs and leads me into them. He is someone who understands street children better than I ever will, who understands communication in Uganda and how to deal with authorities, conflict, etc- He is a man who is brave, kind and protective. He always tells me, "I want to do all of the work for you, I want to take care of you so that you don't have to work so hard" and he does. He has made ministry so much easier and more effective, he has flooded into every single area of my life and enhanced it. I am amazed at how God knew we needed each other and how he would put us together.

None of the boys in our home have any script at all for what it is like to have parents that love each other, to know what a good marriage looks like. PDA is not common in Uganda, but I don't care. My motto is, if we are married and in love, I want our kids to see it! I want them to have something to look forward to, to know that waiting until marriage reaps a mountain of happiness and love! The kids, especially the street children, giggle when David comes and gives me a hug and kiss but at the same time they watch every single move that he makes and soak everything he does in.

I thank God so much



2 comments:

  1. Abigail, we LOVED this post! David is an answer to prayer for all of us, but especially for you. We trusted God to provide for the mission He had called you to and He did that through the amazing people and churches that support you and through giving you a Ugandan husband who loves you like Christ loves the church. We are so thankful for him too.

    We love you, Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you guys, and I love you together. I'm thankful for David too!

    your brother,

    Dan

    ReplyDelete